top of page
Search

The #1 thing couples fight about is...Nothing?

Updated: Aug 29

Have you ever bickered with your partner about where to eat for dinner, and wondered how such a small disagreement suddenly turned into World War III? You're not alone. According to relationship expert Dr. John Gottman, these fights about "nothing" are the #1 conflict among couples. So, what's really going on here?
THE POWER OF MEANINGLESS FIGHTS
Imagine deciding what to watch on Netflix together; you're in the mood for a romantic comedy, but your partner is set on a thriller. Instead of settling in on the couch with popcorn, you end up arguing over what to watch. Maybe one of you gets dismissive, and the other becomes defensive. The truth is, fights about trivial matters like this are more common than you might think. They often stem from deeper issues within yourself or unfulfilled needs within your relationship.
The topic at hand may not be the most important thing during these tiffs. What matters most is how you both react, which can define your relationship over time. Embrace these moments as growth opportunities, and you'll deepen your trust in one another. If you brush them off, small misunderstandings can compound into bigger disconnects.
THE NEGATIVE PERSPECTIVE
Conflicts in a relationship are inevitable, but what contributes to the failure of a relationship is when your negative perspective takes over. This occurs when you focus on the conflict rather than the love and positive aspects of your relationship. Over time, these negative sentiments, no matter how small, override the positive narratives and feelings within your relationship. This can lead to hurt feelings, disconnection, and potential breakup.
TIPS TO FIGHT SMARTER
+ Listen and empathize: Try to see things from your partner’s point of view
+ Use "I" statements: Express your feelings and needs without pointing fingers or criticizing your partner
+ Take a break if needed: Pause and take a time-out 🔑 The one who pauses the conversation needs to set a time for you two to regroup and be the one to initiate repair!
+ Seek help if necessary: Maia can provide valuable tools and guidance for resolving conflicts and strengthening your relationship

FIGHTS ABOUT "NOTHING" ARE NORMAL

According to Dr. Gottman, partners in a relationship are emotionally available to each other only 9% of the time, leaving 91% of their interactions ripe for miscommunication. Maybe your communication just needs a boost.
With Maia, you can transform your conflicts to deepen your connection:
Conflict mediation: Maia helps you and your partner resolve issues by guiding conversations
Conversation starters: By promoting vulnerability and open dialogue, Maia helps you better understand each other's dreams, needs, and concerns
Date planning: Maia helps you schedule quality time to build positive memories and reinforce connection

READY TO TURN FIGHTS INTO INSIGHTS?

Sign up to try Maia today! Relationships take work. Maia can help.

What are your biggest relationship pain points?

  • Communication

  • Chores

  • Physical intimacy

  • Trust

You can vote for more than one answer.


0 comments
bottom of page